|Location/Habitat||Skrath, Skaarj Empire|
|Threat Level||Very dangerous|
The Skaarj (pronouced "scar") are a war-like reptilian race found in the Unreal video game series, most notably in the original Unreal and it's sequel, Unreal 2: The Awakening, though also appearing in Unreal Tournament 2004. They are a violent species from the planet Skrath, whose goal is to conquer the universe. As a species, the Skaarj believe that their race is superior to all others.
Skaarj are 7 to 9 foot tall lizard-like creatures that weigh around 385 lbs. The colour of their scales range from light or dark green to blue or yellow. Different variants of skaarj carry different weapons and are classified in a class-based system. Variants are:
- Warriors - Skaarj armed with twin Raziks, skaarj wrist-blades that also launch electro-magnetic projectiles. They are extremely agile and as such, are used as scouts, assassins and, as their name suggests, warriors.
- Troopers - Skaarj armed with firearms that anyone with the right training can pick up and use. Ranging from front-line infantry to snipers and officers, these skaarj are mostly a threat from range.
- Queens - The alpha females of the species, Queens are larger and more dangerous than most Skaarj. Able to teleport at will, launch energy blasts from their bodies, or tear a full-grown human apart with their clawed hands, these immense beasts are actually non-combatants, their only role being the propogation of the skaarj race.
- Warlords - Warlords are an oversized mix of warrior and trooper-class skaarj armed with a rocket launcher and a pair of wings. Similar in appearance to a winged trooper, but with the head of a warrior, they are the main military commanders of their respective clans, second only to the clan's queen.
- Pupae - Pupae are newborn skaarj, yet are much more vicious than their full-grown counterparts. Spider-like with the basic skaarj head, they attack with their long legs, but are more of a minor nuisance than an actual threat.
- Hybrid - Created by the Liandri Corporation as genetically engineered super-soldiers, Hybrids are created through a combination of human and Skaarj genes. The Hybrids only known use was during Liandri's third Unreal Tournament, where both Skaarj teams were defeated by Tournament champion Malcolm and his team Thunder Crash. Whether this defeat caused the end of the Hybrid Program is unknown, though likely.
The Skaarj have only conquered one known planet, and that is the Nali homeworld of Na Pali. They enslaved the Nali to do their biddings, such as mining for Tyradium Shards. The only other known conquest is the Izarian homeworld. However, humanity (and most other species not yet under skaarj rule) doesn't know the world's name at this moment. They are also known to work with the mercenary Krall. Whether this is through conquest or an alliance is unknown, though the latter seems likely, given the Krall's alliance with the Necris warriors of the Phayder Corporation. The Skaarj have attempted to conquer Earth at least once before, suffering a defeat when human forces managed to destroy their mothership. This victory is celebrated annually during Tournament seasons with a recreation of the final battle, as part of the Assault event.