The Netherrealm's environment is much like humans' classic depiction of Hell, a nightmarish and barren landscape filled with rivers of lava and the air is noxious and sulphuric. However, only a very small part of the Netherrealm has been mapped: the dimension is literally infinite in size and cannot be fully explored, not that anyone would want to try.
- Shinnok's Spire - A forboding black tower where the fallen Elder God Shinnok resides. From here, Shinnok rules over all of the Netherrealm.
- Sea of Immortality - A strange body of water in an otherwise arid realm.
- Pyramid of Shinnok - A cryptic structure that hovers above the Sea of Immortality. The pyramid serves as a monument to Shinnok's victory over the Netherrealm's former ruler Lucifer.
- Prison of Souls - An unholy structure where the souls of the damned are locked away for perpetual torture.
- Nekros - An ancient city built by sorcerers as a source of protection against not only the hostile evil environment which drains life energies from the living, but also against the bloodthirsty Onis and the putrid zombies whom they all considered as primitive and savage.